A Sacramento Sheriff's Vehicle Hit a Protester During a Stephon Clark Vigil

Adjust Comment Print

"The narrative that had been put forth was that they had to open fire because he was charging at them", Crump said during a news conference Friday. "It comes down to wrong and right". "You're trying to tell me I can kill someone and get a paid vacation?"

Benjamin Crump, an attorney for the family of Clark said: "This independent autopsy affirms that Stephon was not a threat to police and was slain in another senseless police killing under increasingly questionable circumstances".

"How are you protecting us if you're killing us?" protesters chanted at police as they marched past shopping centers.

Officers involved in the shooting were responding to a call about a man breaking into parked cars with a crowbar.

The initial autopsy conducted by the Sacramento County Coroner determined the cause of Clark's death as multiple gunshot wounds, and the manner of death was homicide, according to a preliminary report.

With tensions already high, residents now have to cope with a hit-and-run on Saturday night involving a Sacramento County Sheriff's Department vehicle and a local activist. The sheriff's release did not explain why the vehicle sped up even as at least one person was in front of it - though the department said that the collision happened at "slow speeds".

More news: US Open champion Stephens wins Miami Open title

The statement also said that the patrol auto was damaged with dents and a shattered rear window from the protesters.

Police shot Clark just seconds after encountering him in his grandparents' yard.

The cops who shot him were responding to a call of someone breaking auto windows.

"This little small town can show this nation our great big heart", the Rev. Kevin Ross said.

About 150 people staged a vigil and protest in honor of Stephon Clark outside a sheriff's department office in South Sacramento.

Clark's shooting has sparked largely peaceful demonstrations in Sacramento.

More news: Journalist accreditation order withdrawn

Protests have rocked Sacramento since Clark's shooting, including delaying National Basketball Association games. However, protests became particularly tense after the autopsy results were released on Friday, which concluded that Clark was shot eight times, mostly in the back, clearly refuting the contention by police that Clark was moving toward them when they gunned him down. Police waited about five minutes before rendering medical aid.

Over the weekend, Matt Barnes' led the protest rally for Stephon Clark.

Imam Omar Suleiman, who helped prepare Clark's body for his memorial service said police "massacred" the Sacramento man. The Sacramento Police Department initially said Clark had "advanced toward the officers" while holding what they believed to be a firearm.

One of the most suspicious details was recorded minutes after the shooting when, with other officers arriving on the scene, an officer asked the policemen who shot Clark to mute the cameras attached to their uniforms.

The officers eventually spotted Clark, who appears to have run into his grandmother's backyard.

More news: Oklahoma teachers chalk cars to spread message about needed funding