Eight students and two teachers were killed when a 17-year-old student opened fire at Santa Fe High School last week in the latest mass shooting at a USA school. "Wait till that phone call comes in, until you know they're safe", he said.
Gun control activists had complained about the picture of Abbot with the shotgun following the shooting and pressed the governor over the weekend to delete if from the webpage.
Mike Collier, a Democrat running for Texas lieutenant governor, expressed skepticism that the roundtables would lead to significant change.
"There aren't enough people to put a guard at every entrance and exit".More news: GE Transportation reaches agreement to merge with Wabtec
Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (R) has suggested following the shooting that schools should have fewer entrances and exits, which would allow security to better monitor who is coming in and out of the building. "Based on all the research we have done, 97%, according to psychologists and psychiatrists ... of teenagers view video games, and 85% of those video games are violent", Patrick said Sunday.
"We can have moments of silence all day and all night, but unless we are willing to do something, get to the root of the problem, then we will continue to see this happen over and over again", said a Social Studies teacher at Northside High School. "In other words, we may need to harden our schools and make them safer".
The sheriff said, "there were minimal shots fired, at least from us, from law enforcement" during the exchange.
A gun battle ensued, with the gunman in a classroom and officers in the hallway, Galveston County Sheriff Henry Trochesset told a news conference.More news: Taylor Swift and Hailey Baldwin suffer wardrobe malfunctions at Billboard Awards
According to CNN, there have now been 22 shootings on school premises in the us this year in which someone was hurt or killed.
Santa Fe Independent School District Police Chief Walter Braun said Monday Barnes was in the intensive care unit after surgery.
Authorities haven't released further details about how the gunman was able to access the weapons, but in the aftermath of the massacre, people from across the political spectrum have stressed the importance of securing firearms to keep minors and others from getting ahold of them without permission.
Pagourtzis is being held without bail and is accused of capital murder of multiple people and aggravated assault on a public servant.More news: Detained Iranian British woman now accused of 'spreading propaganda'
Pagourtzis's family said in a statement they were "saddened and dismayed" by the shooting and "as shocked as anyone else" by the events.