Trump administration has cut deal with China's ZTE, says source

Adjust Comment Print

China's telecom giant ZTE will be allowed to buy from USA suppliers again if it changes its management team, installs United States compliance officers and pays a $1.3 billion fine, according to a Trump administration proposal.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) has led the GOP charge pushing against President Trump's effort to release ZTE from strict prohibitions, and he criticized the administration again on Friday.

The plan is further inflaming tensions between the White House and Congress over trade policy in a week when Republicans blasted the administration for contemplating tariffs on auto imports.

The Senate on Thursday released a defense policy bill containing a provision requiring Trump, before making any ZTE deal, to certify with Congress that ZTE hasn't violated US law for the past year and is cooperating with USA investigations.

More news: Arsenal in talks with defender Stephan Lichtsteiner over free transfer

"Yes they have a deal in mind", Mr. Rubio said in a tweet on Friday.

ZTE told the Commerce Department that it had punished those responsible, but when paperwork proving this was requested, the department determined that ZTE had not followed through, resulting in the institution of the full sanctions.

Last month, the U.S. Commerce Department ruled that the company had failed to live up to the terms of an agreement over ZTE's evasion of sanctions.

Chinese President Xi Jinping reportedly called President Donald Trump asking for relief for the Chinese telecom firm and putting an initial offer on the table, according to Fox News. It is a great deal. for #ZTE & China.

More news: John Terry not allowed Chelsea clause in Aston Villa contract

On Thursday, members of the House of Representatives, citing national security concerns, voted to ban government agencies from using ZTE technology and the Defense Department from renewing contracts with vendors that work with the company. Many hoped this time would be different. Finally, ZTE must move its management team around.

"Now congress will need to act", he added. Would be a huge victory for President Xi, and a dramatic retreat by Pres Trump.

"ZTE presents a national security threat to the United States - and nothing in this reported deal addresses that fundamental fact".

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross is scheduled to travel to Beijing on June 2 for further discussions over China's aggressive push to challenge USA technological dominance. The Trump administration has pushed China to help cut the $376 billion trade surplus with the U.S, with Beijing so far making only vague commitments to buy more USA goods, including farm products and energy.

More news: Iran expects economic package from European powers

"We urge you not to compromise lawful USA enforcement actions against serial and premeditated violators of USA law, such as ZTE", numerous lawmakers, including Sen.

Comments