New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood sued President Donald Trump and his charitable foundation on Thursday, alleging that the president and his adult children illegally used the private foundation for personal, business, and political expenses.
Underwood further asked that the state judge dissolve Trump's foundation, which he founded in 1987, and ordered Trump to pay a minimum of $2.8 million in penalties.
The lawsuit, filed in State Supreme Court in Manhattan, culminated a almost two-year investigation of Mr. Trump's charity, which became a subject of scrutiny during and after the 2016 presidential campaign.More news: Mike Pompeo Is Insulting Our Intelligence
The lawsuit deepens the legal woes of the president, adding to U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation of his campaign, a federal investigation in NY of his longtime lawyer Michael Cohen, and civil suits related to hush-money deals signed on his behalf. He promised to shut it down in 2016 but could not while the NY investigation was ongoing.
The suit also alleges that the Trump charity raised in excess of $2.8m "in a manner created to influence the 2016 presidential election at the direction and under the control of senior leadership of the Trump presidential campaign".
"As our investigation reveals, the Trump Foundation was little more than a checkbook for payments from Mr. Trump or his businesses to nonprofits, regardless of their goal or legality", Underwood said. I won't settle this case!,' he wrote.More news: By the numbers - Rafael Nadal 86-2 at Roland Garros
The Trump Foundation also attacked the attorney general's office and said it was playing "politics at its very worst".
Underwood also asked that Trump be banned from leading any other NY nonprofit for 10 years. The board, though, had not met since 1999, and Underwood asked that the Trump children be banned from serving as director of any NY nonprofits for a year. Underwood also sent referral letters to the Internal Revenue Service and Federal Election Commission identifying possible violations of federal law for the departments to investigate.
The president had already paid more than $330,000 in reimbursements and penalty taxes since 2016.More news: Meghan and Harry to tour Australia and New Zealand