Man dies of bacterial infection after eating tainted oyster at Florida restaurant

Adjust Comment Print

The Florida Health Department told ABC7 Sarasota that the bad oysters were eaten on July 8 and two days later the man died from gastro-intestinal illness.

A 71-year-old Florida man has died from bacteria that he got from eating raw oysters, state authorities have said.

Two days later, the man was dead, WWSB reports.

The department did not release the name of the restaurant where the man ate the tainted shellfish.

More news: The Syrian Assad forces expanded their offensive

Flesh eating bacteria, or Vibrio vulnificus, is naturally occurring bacteria found in warm, brackish seawater.

Health officials often advise bathers who want to go swimming in lakes, beaches, or rivers not to enter the water if they have cuts or scrapes.

"Diarrhea, fever, general symptoms like associated with a GI or gastrointestinal illness".

"Infections are rare but exposures occur more commonly during the summer months from May to October, when the water is warmer", department officials said in an email reply.

More news: Liverpool squad with new signings arrive for a friendly at Chester

Health officials also urge people with certain health conditions to avoid eating raw oysters and other shellfish.

"The bacterium can invade the bloodstream, causing a severe and life-threatening illness", the Florida Department of Health said". Those with compromised immune systems are especially vulnerable.

Officials said this was the first confirmed case and death from Vibrio vulnificus in Sarasota County this year, with no reported cases last year, The Sun-Sentinel said. The bacteria does not change the appearance, odor or taste of an oyster. People can also contract the bacteria if they wade in water and have any open wounds. There were no reported cases past year, officials said.

Pasco County has had no cases in 2018, and one non-fatal case each in 2017 and 2017.

More news: Netflix: Will Walmart Try to Undercut It on Price?

Comments