North Korea says talks with Pompeo were ‘regrettable’

Adjust Comment Print

North Korea is lashing out at the United States following two days of high-level denuclearization discussions between Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Kim Yong Chol, a senior aide to North Korean Dictator Kim Jong Un.

The North's statement came hours after Pompeo wrapped up two days of talks with senior North Korean officials without meeting North Korean leader Kim Jong Un but with commitments for new discussions on denuclearization and the repatriation of the remains of American soldiers killed during the Korean War.

Mr Pompeo is now on a visit to North Korea for advancing denuclearisation talks with Kim Jong-un and putting a timeline on the denuclearisation process, following the historic summit in Singapore with Donald Trump last month.

"But through the high-level talks, the trust between the DPRK and the United States is facing a unsafe situation where our resolve for denuclearization, which has been firm and steadfast, may falter".

More news: Liverpool icon Gerrard backs Karius for future success

Nauert said USA and North Korean officials had set up working groups to deal with "nitty gritty stuff", including verification of efforts to achieve denuclearisation, which would be headed on the US side by Sung Kim, a Korean-American who is also ambassador to the Philippines.

Pompeo had previously offered a more optimistic view of the talks, which were held with top North Korean party official and former spy chief Kim Yong Chol.

Pompeo's visit represents the highest-level meeting between U.S. and North Korean officials since Trump and Kim Jong-un held their unprecedented summit in Singapore on June 12. Additionally, Kim does not appear to have returned the troop remains that Trump said the USA already "got". "I expect that the DPRK is ready to do the same", Pompeo said. Chairman Kim is still committed, I had a chance to speak to President Trump this morning. But the State Department insists "the U.S. -India relationship is a major priority for this administration".

It says pressure will remain until North Korea denuclearizes, but in statements this week, it redefined the US goal as "the final, fully verified denuclearization" of the country.

More news: World Cup Shenanigans....Colombian players receive death threats for missing penalties

"The U.S. just came out with such unilateral and robber-like denuclearization demands as CVID, declaration and verification that go against the spirit of the North-U.S. summit meeting", he added, calling the talks "really disappointing".

"Particularly, they have suggested that they are disappointed by the USA insistence on focusing on the denuclearisation plans over what they described as big-picture issues", she said.

US Department of State spokeswoman Heather Nauert said Pompeo did not meet Kim, as he had done on his two previous visits to North Korea this year, but handed over a letter to him from Trump.

Defcon security experts said North Korea's destruction of its nuclear facility was "superficial" and "insufficient" to destroy the uranium enrichment plant.

More news: Northern white rhino could be saved from extinction after IVF breakthrough

But while Pompeo painted the bilateral talks as a success, the Kim regime was sharply critical, calling the meeting "worrisome" and saying concrete demands from the USA regarding denuclearization represented a return to the "cancerous" posture of previous administrations. "Other places, there's still more work to be done".

Comments