He added that the Trump administration was committed to reaching a deal under which North Korea would denuclearise and see economic benefits in return.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo (R) arrives at Tokyo's Haneda Airport on July 7, 2018.
The North also backed its earlier promises "to destroy its missile engine test site", according to Pompeo. He also said Pentagon officials will meet with their North Korean counterparts on or near July 12 at the demilitarized zone between the Koreas to discuss the return of USA military personnel who died during the Korean War.
In stark contrast, Pyongyang's take was overwhelmingly negative, with the North warning that the future of the peace process was being jeopardised by overbearing United States demands for its unilateral nuclear disarmament.
Pompeo said more talks were needed on both.
"We now have a meeting set up for July 12 - it could move by one day or two - where there will be discussions between the folks responsible for the repatriation of remains".More news: Atlanta Hawks: Final Thoughts from Utah Summer League
On Saturday, Pompeo briefed reporters about his time in Pyongyang saying, progress was made "on nearly all of the central issues" but there's still more work to be done.
North Korea expressed regret Saturday over the attitude of USA negotiators during their talks this week to work out details on how to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula as agreed to by their leaders in their recent summit meeting.
Pompeo spoke after emerging from more than eight hours of talks over two days with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un's right-hand man, Kim Yong-choi, in a Pyongyang diplomatic compound.
Remarkably, the North Korean foreign ministry seemed taken aback by the USA calls that it abandon its nuclear arsenal - ostensibly the entire point behind last month's meeting in Singapore between Trump and Kim. "He deserves credit for doing so", Revere wrote in an email.
Speaking privately, United States officials suggested the harshly-worded North Korean reaction was a negotiating tactic. "Welcome to our world, Mr. Secretary".
A failure in the talks would amount to an embarrassment for Pompeo, whom Trump tasked with leading the negotiations and who had said repeatedly that Kim Jong Un was ready to commit to something no North Korean government had delivered on in decades. The countries also agreed to create working groups that will be overseen by Sung Kim, the U.S. ambassador to the Philippines who has handled some lower-level discussions, to work out what State Department spokeswoman called the "nitty gritty details" of future talks.
Kim Yong Chol said that the two had had "very serious discussion on very important matters yesterday" and joked that as a result, Pompeo "might have not slept well last night" at the prestigious Paekhwawon, or 100 Flowers Garden, guest house.
As they began their talks on Saturday, Kim Yong-chol alluded to the fact that Pompeo and his delegation had stayed overnight in Pyongyang.More news: Texas mom shoots man who stole SUV with kids inside
Pompeo on Sunday called on North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to replicate Vietnam's "miracle" of economic growth by improving ties with the US, vowing that America keeps its promises with former foes.
He noted, however, that "there are things that I have to clarify", Reuters reported.
But following talks on Sunday between US envoy Sung Kim and North Korean counterparts, this "CVID" language appears to have disappeared from the State Department lexicon.
But, briefing reporters before flying on to Tokyo, he offered few new details as to how North Korea would honour its commitment to "denuclearise" in exchange for US security guarantees.
Trump pledged a halt to large-scale military drills with South Korea during denuclearisation talks with North Korea.
North Korean state-run news agency KCNA on Saturday claimed the US was using a "gangster-like mindset" in pushing for the country to abandon its nuclear program.
Just hours after Pompeo left the North Korean capital and described the negotiations as "productive", North Korea's Foreign Ministry released a scathing statement that cast the entire endeavor in doubt.
The top US diplomat said Saturday the two sides "laid out a path for further negotiation" among lower-ranking officials.More news: Trump teases pick for Supreme Court