Dozens of passengers on Emirates plane suddenly fall ill mid-flight

Adjust Comment Print

New York City's acting Health Commissioner Dr Oxiris Barbot said laboratory tests on samples of patients were yet to confirm the illness but symptoms such as fever, cough and vomiting indicate influenza, reported Reuters.

Emirates flight 203 from Dubai landed in NY at approximately 9:10 a.m. Wednesday morning and was quickly quarantined. Local media outlets initially reported that around 100 passengers reported feeling ill. Apparently there are over 100 people sick on the bottom floor, so happy I'm up top.

Diala Makki, a television host from Dubai, said: "The Emirates cabin crew were super helpful, they were not in panic mode, which was incredible".

A manager for the rapper confirmed on Wednesday that he was on the Emirates flight that landed at New York's Kennedy Airport.

More news: Brie Larson Explains Why She Almost Turned Down ‘Captain Marvel’

One apparent passenger on the flight took to Twitter with a description from the plane."All we have been told is that some passengers have fallen ill and we should remain in our seats", said a Twitter user going by the name of Larry Coben. In addition, nine other passengers received additional medical screening at "a site near the aircraft" but were later released, Emirates said. However, an early-morning tweet from the NY mayor's office claimed that the flight had made a stop in flu-ridden Mecca on its way from Dubai.

An Emirates superjumbo in NY has been met by ambulances, police and disease control experts after passengers became unwell.

In a statement, Emirates said that "about" 10 passengers became ill and local health authorities were alerted "as a precaution".

They had their temperatures taken on the tarmac and were then transported by bus to the airport terminal, where they made their way through customs.

More news: Ronaldo, Modric, Salah shortlisted — FIFA's best player

Footage showed the plane, surrounded by emergency vehicles, sitting on the tarmac.

Haynes said it was possible that many or most of those who complained of illness were actually sick, but the number of confirmed cases was limited to the 19 or 20 who were screened at the airport because their symptoms were the worst.

Airline representatives did not immediate respond to an email.

NYPD's Counter-Terrorism unit said it was "monitoring" the quarantine in case the incident progressed above a medical situation and that it was working with the Port Authority and federal partners.

More news: Osaka powers into U.S. Open semis by routing Tsurenko

The Port Authority of NY and New Jersey did not immediately respond to an AFP request to comment.