Everson Griffen missed Vikings game after Hotel Ivy incident, alleged gun threats

Adjust Comment Print

According to Deadspin, which posted a copy of the Minnetrista, Minn., police report detailing the incident, Griffen leapt out of an ambulance on his way to the hospital for the evaluation.

Minnesota Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen has been sidelined indefinitely by an undisclosed situation that has caused concern within the organization about his well-being. Griffen then left the hotel and returned to his home on Lake Minnetonka. "We told him that he needed to go to a hospital and get checked out", an officer stated in his report.

The three-time Pro Bowl player was picked up and questioned by Minneapolis police after the two incidents, according to The Big Lead. He signed a $58 million, four-year contract extension in 2017 and had a career-high 13 sacks that season.

The Vikings play in Los Angeles against the Rams on Thursday. Weatherly said Tuesday that Zimmer addressed the team during the morning walk-through practice and "summed up" Griffen's situation.

More news: Telltale Games hits the rocks

The Vikings had cited a knee problem in ruling Griffen out on the pregame injury report before Sunday's loss to the Bills.

"The only thing I'm really concerned about for Everson isn't anything to do with football", Zimmer said. In the five years that I've been here, I've always loved Everson. "He's always been a really, really good model for us and obviously he's going through some tough times now".

However, a Minneapolis police incident report - in which Griffen's name us redacted - states that Griffen had allegedly threatened to shoot members of the hotel staff Saturday afternoon unless he was allowed into his room.

Later that day, Griffen arrived at the west suburban home of teammate Trae Waynes.

More news: 3D Gun Advocate Accused Of Sex With Minor Released From Houston Jail

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said in a statement the team is aware of the incident and is focused on supporting Griffen, who has played for the team since it selected him in the fourth round of the 2010 NFL Draft.

"To clarify, there was no attempted break-in at our home and at no point did my family or I feel unsafe", Waynes said.

After being told to leave practice, Griffen went to the Hotel Ivy, where he had been staying during the week after leaving his home. Within minutes, Griffen's wife notified police that he was in a pickup truck with someone who didn't know what to do with him.

Police found Griffen and his wife in front of the house.

More news: Rotting fish stink up I-40 in the wake of Hurricane Florence

Zimmer was asked Tuesday whether the team could have done anything to make sure Griffen had undergone a mental health evaluation prior to Saturday. "We just want what's best for Everson and for his family, so that's where our minds and hearts are at". But Griffen needs to get healthy, and if that means never playing football again, so be it.