The Chinese-made Focus Active, which Ford calls a crossover, would have been a niche vehicle for its home country, and the decision to abandon strategies to launch it in the US market next year will not cost jobs or have a major impact on the automaker's USA sales, Ford North America chief Kumar Galhotra informed reporters during a conference call on Friday.
"Given the negative monetary affect of the novel tariffs, we've made up our minds now to no longer import this vehicle from China", Kumar Galhotra, Ford president of North The United States, said in a Friday conference name with reporters. However, the new 25% tariff imposed by Trump administration no longer make it feasible to import the Active from China. A 25 percent levy on auto imports went into effect in July.
Canceling the Focus Active is the latest move in Ford's oft-evolving strategy for global passenger cars.More news: Pentagon moves to scrap US$300 million in aid to Pakistan
About 95 per cent of the vehicles Ford sells in the US are assembled in the US, Canada or Mexico, Galhotra said.
Ford has been struggling recently and many have questioned the company's drastic plan to slash sedans including the Fusion and the smaller Focus.
"Many models will be withdrawn from the US market, and many won't be built in the U.S.at all", she said.More news: WEST NILE VIRUS: How to protect your family during Labor Day weekend
"The impact to our future sales is expected to be marginal", Kumar Galhotra, Ford's president of North America, said during a conference call with reporters. It is already selling it in China and Europe.
Galhotra says that Ford believed that the China-built Focus Active would be a low volume vehicle in the USA, only selling about 50,000 units. From our earlier reporting, the automaker is planning on having 90 percent of its products be trucks, SUVs or commercial vehicles by 2020. "All of that imported say material would be discipline to tariffs as successfully".
Tariffs could be coming at a bad time for Ford, whose stock last month dipped below $10 for the first time in nearly six years.More news: Nigeria, China to sign $328 million agreement on ICT
Now September is knocking on the door, and the U.S. The shares dropped one other 2.three p.c Friday to $9.forty eight.