Jamal Khashoggi: photos of 15-man ‘assassination squad’ surface in Turkish newspaper

Adjust Comment Print

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt has met ambassador Prince Mohammed bin Nawaf Al Saud to "seek answers", a day after Downing Street said the United Kingdom was "working urgently" to establish the facts behind the disappearance. He served as an adviser to senior Saudi officials. Such a search would be an extraordinary development, as embassies and consulates under the Vienna Convention are technically foreign soil and must be protected by host nations.

The need to protect intelligence sources - which might include intercepted communications or human informers - also contributed to the government's reluctance to reveal its evidence, the official said.

"The consulate building will be searched in the framework of the investigation", Aksoy said in a written statement.

After leaving the consulate grounds, three cars turned left on to a main road while the remaining three turned right. The Post said it obtained this image from a "person close to the investigation". The Turkish newspaper Hurriyet also published the image.

"It's clear he did not exit", said one Turkish official with knowledge of the investigation, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the ongoing investigation.

More news: Drew Brees passes Peyton Manning's record as Saints beat Redskins

Turkish police operate at least one camera at the front of the building.

Turkish officials have alleged the 59-year-old journalist was killed in the compound, but Saudi Arabia has called the allegations "baseless" despite not offering evidence he left the consulate.

But he added that diplomatic cars had been seen moving in and out. Tonight the New York Times reported that Turkish officials concluded he was assassinated in the consulate "on orders from the highest levels of the royal court".

Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud told Bloomberg on Friday that Khashoggi was not in the consulate, and his country is investigating.

Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan asked Saudi Arabia on Monday to prove its assertion that Khashoggi left the consulate. All those issues have been viewed as being pushed by Prince Mohammed, who similarly has led roundups of activists, businessmen and others in the kingdom.

More news: The American Music Awards 2018

"Consulate officials can't save themselves by saying, 'He left here.' And relevant authorities are obligated to provide proof of this claim", Erdogan said during a visit to Hungary. "It is (the duty) of the consulate officials", Erdogan said during a visit to Hungary. Why don't you prove it? "You have to prove it".

While living in Saudi Arabia, Khashoggi was told to stop writing or posting on Twitter, where he has more than 1.6 million followers.

His reticence has raised questions about whether Turkey might ultimately back away from an explicit accusation in the interest of preserving relations with Saudi Arabia, a wealthy regional heavyweight. Relations were already strained after Turkey sent troops to the Gulf state of Qatar past year in a show of support after its Gulf neighbors, including Saudi Arabia, imposed an embargo on Doha. Saudi Arabia is also unhappy about Ankara's growing proximity to the kingdom's Shiite rival, Iran.

Khashoggi's disappearance could put pressure on the Saudi prince, who has promoted an image of himself as a reformer and a reliable Western ally.

Trump, who took his first overseas trip as US president to the kingdom and whose son-in-law Jared Kushner has close ties to Prince Mohammed, said while he had not yet talked to the Saudis about Khashoggi. I don't like hearing about it. "The consulate officials can not save themselves by simply saying 'he has left, '" the Turkish president added. "I know nothing right now".

More news: Jimmy Kimmel Mocks Donald Trump’s Brett Kavanaugh Swearing-In Ceremony

Comments