The Crown Jewel event is set to take place in the Saudi Arabian capital of Riyadh on 2 November.
Rumours suggest popular wrestling superstar Daniel Bryan is also set to miss the controversial event and tonight's episode of Smackdown could shed some light to the speculation.
PWInsider reports that, as of yesterday, WWE was planning on not sending AJ Styles to Saudi Arabia and there were plans to have Styles wrestle Bryan at the Performance Center in Orlando so they could air it as part of the broadcast on Friday. John Cena and Daniel Bryan were quick express their displeasure over the entire situation and were willing to pull out from the massive show.More news: Pakistan frees woman facing death penalty for blasphemy
According to a report by PWinsider, he will not be traveling to the country.
WWE ran a segment Monday night during "Raw" in which acting general manager Baron Corbin was so impressed by Bobby Lashley's emphatic win over Finn Balor that Corbin said Lashley had earned a spot in the eight-man World Cup event (as opposed to Cena, who simply had been announced as a participant without having to qualify).More news: In just under two years the Nintendo Switch has outsold the GameCube
"What an honor and a privilege it is to be allowed to be a part of an event like today", Cena said at the time. "Considering the heinous crime committed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, the Company faced a very hard decision as it relates to its event scheduled for November 2 in Riyadh", WWE said in the report. WWE reportedly started making other plans regarding the match last week.
'Similar to other US -based companies who plan to continue operations in Saudi Arabia, the Company has chose to uphold its contractual obligations to the General Sports Authority and stage the event.
The two are slated to face off against one another for the vacant WWE Universal Championship and had a confrontation at the beginning of the evening.More news: Google Pixel 3 XL gets horrifying second notch thanks to weird glitch