Israel Tells Lebanon, U.N. Peacekeepers to Destroy Attack Tunnel

Adjust Comment Print

"Hezbollah is putting your lives in danger because of digging tunnels", said the Arabic audio message, which appeared to have been sent by Israel.

After the launch of Operation Northern Shield on Tuesday, the IDF placed a camera inside the first tunnel exposed.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) released footage on December 4 that they said showed a Hezbollah operative inside an "attack tunnel" dug from Lebanon into Israel.

In fact, Netanyahu, who was scared of the Palestinian resistance after his defeat, has taken measures to restore his domestic image, especially since charges were brought against him about corruption and bribery.

Israel has not detailed how many tunnels have been detected, although Cornicus on Thursday said the army was working in three different areas along the border.

More news: SpaceX Launches Dragon Cargo Ship to Space Station, But Misses Rocket Landing

However, the Israelis have violated Lebanese land, sea and airspace more than 1,300 times this year through November 15. "The Lebanese army is ready to deal with any possible incidents". Lebanese army forces and UNIFIL troops are on standby in Lebanon. Authorities said, though, it does not pose a threat to residents.

"The Israelis did not present any information" at Wednesday's meeting with the Lebanese army and the UNIFIL peacekeeping force, a statement from Berri's office said earlier Thursday.

Israeli officials are saying that the Hezbollah tunnels are wide enough to accommodate battalions, allowing terrorists from Hezbollah to "carry out killing sprees and kidnappings and to capture Israeli towns and villages". "UNIFIL watches the blue line around the clock and reports all violations of Security Council resolution 1701".

"I assess that we have a clear picture of all of the tunnels, but you can never be sure", he said.

The UN and European Union have condemned Hezbollah's actions and expressed support for Operation Northern Shield.

More news: Six dead and dozens hurt in nightclub stampede in Italy

He also stated that the northern operation was one of the reasons the cabinet decided not to launch a major offensive against Hamas in Gaza following a barrage of 460 rockets in a 48-hour period last month, the official added.

US officials fear these recent moves by Iran are a preview of its preparations for a "massive regional war".

Iran-backed Hezbollah is the only group in Lebanon not to have disarmed after the country's 1975-1990 civil war.

Hezbollah has always proclaimed readiness to confront any Zionist adventure and has a strategic capability that can complete the deterrence equation and deter attacks against the enemy.

"We did it to mislead the other side", Ya'alon told the Army Radio. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

More news: SpaceX rocket still floating in Atlantic Ocean after botched ground landing

Comments