Russian Federation launches first manned voyage to ISS since rocket accident

Adjust Comment Print

Russian, American and Canadian astronauts blasted off yesterday for the first manned Soyuz mission since a frightening failed launch in October, with the three feeling confident despite the risks.

The Soyuz lifted off at 1131 GMT from Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, carrying Russian cosmonaut Oleg Kononenko, NASA astronaut Anne McClain and the Canadian Space Agency's David Saint-Jacques.

CSA astronaut David Saint Jacques, member of the main crew to the International Space Station (ISS), interacts with his children from a bus prior to the launch of Soyuz-FG rocket.

Following a six-hour journey making four orbits of Earth, the crew will dock the Soyuz to the station's Poisk module to begin their mission on the orbital laboratory.

The Soyuz MS-11 launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan to the ISS at 6.31 a.m. EST on Monday (5.31 p.m.in Baikonur).

A Russian Soyuz spacecraft carrying three astronauts successfully docked with the International Space Station on Monday following a clean launch from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan six hours earlier.

More news: NASA Probe Reaches Asteroid Bennu Ready to Collect Samples

Three astronauts have successfully blasted off to the International Space Station from Kazakhstan, a ideal launch that follows October's aborted mission.

She said the most risky moments will come in the moments following the launch, as the rocket passes through several "critical zones" on its way into space.

On the space station, the crew of NASA's Serena Aunon-Chancellor, Russian Sergei Prokopyev and German Alexander Gerst were waiting for their arrival. They managed to emerge safely despite a harrowing descent back to Earth.

The most experienced of the main crew is Kononenko, who went to the ISS for the fourth time, McClane and Saint-Jacques still have no experience of space flights.

It's the first time a crewed Soyuz rocket successfully made it to space following an aborted mission on October 11, where two space travelers were forced to perform an emergency landing after a deformed sensor caused issues.

They escaped unharmed but the failed launch - the first such incident in Russia's post-Soviet history - raised concerns about the state of the Soyuz programme.

More news: Meghan Markle's private visit to a London university revealed

Investigators blamed a faulty sensor which they said had been damaged during assembly at the Kazakh site.

He said Ovchinin and Hague would be on board, along with NASA's Christina Koch.

Russian space officials took measures to prevent the repeat of such a rocket failure.

Monday marks two important milestones for the Soyuz rocket.

Aboard were crew members from Russian Federation, the United States and Canada.

More news: BT removes Huawei from its 3G, 4G and upcoming 5G network

Comments