Student died after eating leftover pasta in rare food poisoning case

Adjust Comment Print

The student, from Belgium, reheated spaghetti that had been prepared five days prior and left in the kitchen at room temperature, according to a case study in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology.

A U.S. professor, who identifies himself only as Bernard and claims to be a clinical adjunct professor from the University of IL, discussed AJ's case in one of his medical videos on his YouTube channel.

After two bouts of diarrhoea, the student identified as AJ, went to bed to try and sleep the sickness off, only to be found dead at 11am by his devastated parents in 2008. The authors summarized the cause of his death as "a lethal intoxication case" following "the ingestion of pasta contaminated with Bacillus cereus".

In a YouTube clip viewed over 1.8 million times, Dr. Bernard, who identifies himself as a licensed provider trained and based in the USA, explained that the spoiled pasta had shut down A.J.'s liver.

His body was autopsied whilst samples of his pasta and pasta sauce were sent off to the National Reference Laboratory for Food-borne Outbreaks (NRLFO) for analysis.

More news: Australian Open champion Naomi Osaka is a superstar

Bacillus cereus is a spore forming bacteria that produces toxins, causing cause vomiting and diarrhea.

Dr Bernard says in the video: "AJ is an otherwise healthy 20-year-old man".

"The final link in this case comes not from the pasta but the stomach medicine that AJ drank after initially vomiting".

"The food poisoning that results from it is usually self-limiting, meaning one can recover from it through intrinsic bodily functions".

Despite being treated, the toxins from the bacteria caused liver failure, killing him in his sleep.

More news: Ariana Grande’s new Japanese tattoo translates to "barbecue grill"

He said: 'Many people eat pasta, or any other form of noodles, that are leftover for a day or two and they're fine.

While he said AJ's case was an extreme case of food poisoning, Professor Barnard warned against eating leftovers that "smelled funny" and to adopt the "better to be safe than sorry" method and bin any questionable food.

He became seriously ill after eating spagetti and tomato that had been sitting at room temprature for five days since it was first cooked.

Even though AJ was right in that he did get food poisoning, his case was much more serious than most.

His video has been viewed over a million times.

More news: PSG pip Chelsea to signing of Zenit's Paredes for $72 million

"That was kinda dumb but not really something you expect to kill you a day later", one person wrote on Reddit.

Comments