Darren Weir Handed Four Year Ban By Racing Board

Adjust Comment Print

The man who trained Prince Of Penzance to win the 2015 Melbourne Cup, a historic victory for jockey Michelle Payne, has received a four-year ban for the use of Taser-like devices on his horses.

He said the four-year disqualification the stewards sought was appropriate.

The 48-year-old chose not to contest the four charges against him, stemming from a raid on his stables in Victoria last week.

Judge John Bowman said Weir's rags to riches story, which he detailed, made his "fall sadder and more tragic".

In making a penalty submission on behalf of Weir, Wheelahan said that the leading trainer had cooperated willingly over the past week since his stables were raided.

Counsel for RV Jeff Gleeson said the fact the devices were found at the trainer's home indicated a desire to hide them from a stewards' inspection.

He did not fight the charges, nor speak during the hearing.

More news: Jay-Z joining the fight for 21 Savage's freedom

"With reputation and privilege comes responsibility", said Gleeson.

"The inference is inescapable", he said.

"Locating these devices in a bedroom also suggests a desire to hide these devices from the stewards".

Gleeson said the use of jiggers to intimidate horses with an electric shock was cruel.

He said Weir was putting "winning ahead of welfare of horses" and had "tarnished" the industry in a way that was "unforgettable".

Weir could not offer an explanation on their discovery.

He faced a fourth charge of conduct prejudicial to the interests of racing.

More news: Red carpet nixed after Liam Neeson reveals racist thoughts

He said Weir felt bad about the situation and his decision not to contest the charges showed his remorse.

Two other charges of failing to give evidence and failing to comply with stewards' directions were dropped after Weir agreed on Monday not to contest the charges.

Judge Bowman told a packed inquiry room both he and deputy chairman Josh Bornstein had previously raced horses with Weir.

Co-accused Jarrod McLean will appear before the RAD Board on four charges relating to a jigger on his property at Yangery.

"I have fully co-operated with them and am confident that everything will be fine", he said.

Most of his 36 Group One winners have come over the past five years as some of the world's biggest and best-known owners flocked to his stable in search of success.

More news: BTS Will Make An Appearance at the Grammys 2019 This Weekend!

Comments