Two more K-pop stars embroiled in sex video scandal

Adjust Comment Print

"I filmed women without their consent and shared it in a chatroom, and while I was doing so I didn't feel a great sense of guilt", said Jung in the statement released late on Tuesday.

As well as secretly filming women in schools, toilets and offices, "revenge porn" - videos taken of sexual relations without the other partner's consent - is believed to be equally widespread.

Singer Lee Seung-hyun, 28, better known by the stage name Seungri, is suspected of paying for prostitutes for foreign businessmen to drum up investment in his business.

After news of the charges against Seungri broke, YG Entertainment - the company that owns Bigbang - saw its shares fall 15.6 per cent, BBC said.

K-pop singer Jung Joon-young (centre), speaks upon his arrival at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency in Seoul on Thursday.

More news: Hallmark Star Lori Loughlin Charged In Alleged College Admissions Scheme

Jung later said in a statement that he was admitting to "all my crimes", and announced he was also leaving the entertainment business as a result.

Asked whether he would turn over his mobile phone to the police and whether he had drugged his victims when he secretly filmed sex videos and took intimate photos, the singer did not reply.

He also addressed the revelation in the SBS report that stated Jung revealed to the chatroom that he had been caught sending an illegal video to another person, to which the Highlight member was quoted as responding: "You got caught by her?"

Seungri, a member of South Korean K-pop band Big Bang, arrives to be questioned over a sex bribery case at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency in Seoul, South Korea, March 14, 2019. Yong previously denied he was in the chat along with Jung and Seungri. "However, although I knew of what was happening during that time, I thought of it as not a big deal and acted at ease". Police said there were several Kakao Talk chatrooms involved but didn't elaborate.

A second Korean pop star has been swept up in the ongoing scandal involving the goings on at a nightclub in Seoul that's already led to one famous star bowing out of the entertainment industry indefinitely.

More news: New York Mets Announce Decision On Tim Tebow

The scandals have rocked K-pop, which has a global fan base and generates billions of dollars for the South Korean economy.

Forbes magazine reported in June 2016 the band took home $US44 million ($A62 million) in pre-tax earnings in the previous year, more than the $US 33.5 million collected by then the highest-paid American all-male arena pop group, Maroon 5. Some suicides have occurred among celebrities in the industry.

Despite denying the allegations, Seungri not only faces a demise of his career, he could also be jailed for up to three years as prostitution is illegal in South Korea, The Guardian reported. He appeared at the same police station earlier on Thursday to help police with an investigation into suspicions he distributed the videos.

Police Commissioner Min Gap-ryong has launched an internal investigation into potential cover-ups and police wrongdoing.

After Seungri announced his retirement on March 12, YG Entertainment has honoured Seungri's request to terminate his exclusive contract.

More news: Scientists sign petition saying that AirPods can cause cancer

Comments